Tuesday, January 21, 2014

the Craft

You've probably noticed, my posts are riddled with spelling and grammar faux pas. If you haven't noticed you can rest assured that I have and you can rest assured that it's been bugging the crap out of me for some time. Every time I post, even on Facebook!, I end up with a slew of mistakes I only notice after it's "gone to print" and it's been read.  For someone who makes a living writing in English it's more than a little bit embarrassing and worrying.

It's taken me a while to figure out why it happens and now that I have it's really more of a "duh!". You see, it never happens to me at work, and it's not like I get all loaded up with booze when I get home and drunk type, so it didn't make sense to me for the longest time.

Now though I know, that I have fallen into the lazy trap of relying solely on software to check my English. At work I just merrily type, I mean I don't check too much as I type, and InDesign or Word will happily point out any mistakes I make so that all I have to do is to go back and make sure that the topic actually makes some sort of sense.

I feel a bit said that I've actually grown this lazy. There was a time when I would sit down and carefully craft my sentences and take pride in their construction. Although, when I was in that 40 to 50 page hand written letter page stage in my teens there would be the occasional crossing out words because I wasn't about to rewrite a whole page, I don't think I've ever seen anything in my whole life like this before.

So, it's time to turn up the dial on the inner editor and stop outsourcing the editing to some software. Language is something we should care for even if it's changing at a rate it's hard to keep up. If nothing else with will save me some embarrassment.


1 comment:

  1. Grammar and punctuation are old school. Facebook, Twitter ... and email, have contributed to casual, unchecked and made-up writing styles. I don't think grade schools consider writing, sentence structure and cursive and printing as significant class work.

    So, don't worry about it, illiteracy and sloppy writing are only going to increase.

    ReplyDelete