Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The moment I realize (again) that I’m just fucking awkward at times

We had one of them team lunches today. The new head of global everything (our department) took half of the team out for lunch yesterday and half today. I just knew it would be…..awkward for me.

Self-fulfilling prophecies. Love that shit.

I’m just wasn’t in the mood, although this may be a permanent condition with me, so sit there and smile, and as the only woman (because I work in engineering) I actually felt a little…..like the odd one out. A bit like the only woman in cabinet post the Australian election.

I know I shouldn’t feel awkward, I know these guys and I’ve known a lot of them for years, but I did. There they were talking bikes, I’m a bike type person, but they were talking about bikes the way men do. We’re not just cycling anymore; we’re wearing full body armour.

One of the guys turned around and made an effort to say something he knew I would directly relate to. One guy.

I know it’s me. It’s not them. I’m just not the social butterfly. Should have brought a pad of post-it notes and doodled instead.

*sulk*

1 comment:

  1. ... working with engineers, say no more, that says everything.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

On Pain and Dolphins

The last few weeks have been weird. It's not just that I went back to work after eight months taking time off work; that part is stra...

Popular posts