Friday, January 11, 2013

I've not been mad for days, I swear

I've not been mad for days, I swear to you, but it's been simmering in the back of my head for quite some time. Six dudes in India made me angry because their actions snuffed out the life of a 23-year old woman. This happened in a country in which a woman is raped every 20 minutes. And, that's just the women. There are kids being raped too and they're being raped to death.

Now this kind of crap doesn't only happen in India. I also happened to come across that whole "rape crew" thing that happened in Steubenville, Ohio, and that just fueled the fire.

Guys, guys, guys! Why should I or my daughter have to be afraid of approximately 50% of the population and what their intent is. Yes, yes, yes, I know that most men aren't rapists but there seems to be a good damned entitlement problem if you're in Sydney at least. Men want to get laid and they're pissed at women for not putting out. They're also pissed at women who care if you as a man have a job etc., and I get where these guys are coming from but then I also get the women and where they came from; I supported two husbands and it's kind of tiring especially when there's no will to help bring home the bacon.

All men are not bad, I know, I know, I know, but I need more men to be good and I need feminism to stop being a bad thing. I need to be able to tell my daughter that as a budding woman she can feel safe and have all the rights and opportunities men have. The truth is women still don't. When young women leave law school in Australia they walk into jobs where they're on average paid a third less than their male counterparts even though they're grades are higher. Please explain why to me!

I don't think we need militant feminism but we need equality that's for real so I can stop getting mad. We also need workplaces to be more tailored to women because we just don't function the same way as men and it tends to affect us badly.

And men, dear, lovable, sweet men  of the world, don't you want me to feel safe and accepted too?

I'm just asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

Take care

I've found my will to write again, at least momentarily, and while I pray (this is how grim it's become, I'm resorting to prayer...

Popular posts