Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Urp!"


I suffer more and more from a lack of having time to write. If I really put my mind to it I could probably find the time but the problem is that it manifests itself as a feeling of not being able to write myself out of a paper bag. Not that I really wish to do that but it is still frustrating.

What I really wish to accomplish is the occasional sentence of such quality and class that the reader goes “Urp!” when ingesting it with their hungry eyes. (“Urp!” being the highest accolade a writer can possibly get.)

It bothers me that I have that mindset because if you look at what sells nowadays you realize that you really have to dumb yourself down and start writing nonsense.

I often wonder what the Twilight books would be like if Dostoyevsky or Kafka, or even James Joyce or Jane Austin for goodness sake, had written them. As they are now they’re full of cliché language, word repetition and characterizations that lack to say the least. But, the stuff sells.

This is clearly what keeps me being a technical writer. I sit here and toil and worry about sentence structure, layouts, and flow in a document and so on, and I’m only writing manuals for Christ’s sake! I can’t even write a blog post nowadays without worrying about that stuff. There used to be a time when I just spewed out stuff in my blog and when I couldn’t care less about what it looked like, sounded like or even if it made sense. I miss those days.

I have become a snob when it comes to my own writing and I’m not sure it is a good thing at all. It is like I am learning a new language and as a result I stubbornly refuse to use my mother tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

Take care

I've found my will to write again, at least momentarily, and while I pray (this is how grim it's become, I'm resorting to prayer...

Popular posts