Friday, June 1, 2012

Early morning thought, err, things in my head

It's too early in the morning. It's too early to think poetically. It's even too early to determine how I feel. It's not too early for coffee.

I love my coffee. If there's one thing I don't fancy ever giving up it's coffee. I'd probably give up sex before I'd give up coffee.

I had my first full cup when I was seven years old. No sugar. No milk. I was hooked and that's how I drunk my coffee up until I was 22 years old and husband no. 1 nagged me into putting milk into it. Nowadays I favor a cappuccino in the morning, or several in fact. I even froth milk at work. I've had to cut down on the caffeine though because of stupid depression.

I don't think my love affair with coffee will ever end.

I'm stalling.

I'm performance managing my senior writer and we have our first weekly meeting today with HR to see how he's done this week. It's not looking good. A three page document full of passive voice sentences, product names that are bastardized versions of what Marketing dictates we use and formatting that is nothing like the one in our style guide.

I feel despair. I feel like this performance management is a foregone conclusion. It's making me feel shittier than normal. I could never be an an executioner. I would have to constantly apologize to those I'm executing and I would constantly wonder if I was doing the right thing, if the punishment fitted the crime and if there hadn't perhaps been a miscarriage of justice.

This is obviously why I'm a technical writer and I do a job in which I can carefully craft document with the user in mind in the vain hope that someone will actually refer to the manual. It happens. I'm sure of it. It has to. Please tell me it does!

Do you ever read the manuals for things you buy?


3 comments:

  1. Actually, yes. I need line by line. I don't find technology intuitive. I am the person you heard screaming and trying, futilely, to download a library book to an ipod. All the help I could find on-line told me use of the ipod was intuitive. It's not. The ipod is in a landfill, with no regrets. Tell this kid to write for his/her 70 year old grandmother who will read the instructions. The rest won't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he'd previously been doing good job, and isn't now, maybe he's burned out. If he gets laid off, would he collect unemployment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lord, I had to do the same thing at The Beast but he knew and I knew and my manager knew that there was nothing he could have done to save himself it was inevitable no matter how many hoops he jumped through, even the flaming ones. Funny thing is, when they did it to me a couple of years later I still kept jumping.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

On Pain and Dolphins

The last few weeks have been weird. It's not just that I went back to work after eight months taking time off work; that part is stra...

Popular posts