Monday, May 14, 2012

Good friends

I have made a deal with myself. I’m going to try to write something every day. I don’t like being quiet.

I have pink hair.

Most of you probably know that by now but I’m just saying. In case you didn’t know.

Now you know.

Now we all know.

I was at the shops Saturday and this crusty little pepper pot with hard-dyed-jet-black hair looks at me and snarls at me, in a very menacing way, “Weirdo!” I actually felt hurt.

Instead proving her right by lashing out at her with some sort of primal ape aggression display, I hurried into the supermarket, tail between my legs, and found my friend in one of the aisles. I told him what had just happened. He put his arm around me and told me that I’m not the weirdo, they are. He ruffled my pink hair with his other hand and added “Pink hair or no pink hair.”

Good friends are essential to your wellbeing. Don’t ever underestimate the power of the good friend.

What do you do when you find that a good friend has lied to you? Do you fire them as your good friend and relegate them to a lower status of some sort, or do you, depending on the lie, shut them out completely and utterly so you can begin the grieving process that inevitably comes with losing a good friend…

What if they lied to protect you? What if they lied about a part of them that they knew you couldn’t possibly accept but they didn’t want to lose you. They wanted to keep you and protect you at the same time. What then? Do you try to see past the lying and can you see that there’s something good in what happened? Can you forgive them for lying and love them enough to accept that part of them that they so desperately tried to hide from you? Isn’t that what good friends do?

How big is your heart?

I’m just asking.

By the way, I'm not good at keeping deals...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

It's Day Something of my Radical Something-Something Project

You can't trust me. I set out on a new and shiny path and I don't follow through. I feel a little like that about my whole life a...

Popular posts