Friday, November 4, 2011

Oh, there's just so much of it!

Mouse over at A mouse in France commented on the last post (and she’s got the Che Guevara t-shirt) and it made me think. Again! There’s no bloody end to it once my brain gets a hold of something to entertain itself with. The internal conversation is pretty much me telling it shut up and concentrate while it finds references and new ideas and ways to string that together in posts. I’m not in control. That much is apparent.

“I am still incensed about the bankers and their bonuses.”
Oh my god, yes! Do they need that much money and what have they done to deserve it? I’ll raise you the Qantas CEO last week stranded 68000 travellers because he had a bit of a tantrum over talks with his pilots. Oh, I forgot to mention that he just got a $1.7M pay rise a few days prior so he now earns $5M a year. Poor man!

“…about the hypocrisy of the whole BP thing…”
How big can you make a carpet? Big enough to cover huge oil spills should you ever need to sweep one under a carpet.

“yet Bhopal is still a toxic mess 25 years after the 'accident' that killed thousands.”
Have you ever watched The Yes Men Fix the World ? If you haven’t you must do it as soon as possible. There are two movies and in one they take on Dow Chemical (Dow bought up Union Carbide after the Bhopal disaster) and set up a fake interview with the BBC in which Dow announced that they would pay for the cleanup. Dow’s share price plummeted as a result. Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno have balls the size of volkswagens (watch it and you’ll know what I mean) and as a bonus are not bad to look at (I had to throw in a bit of sexism there – had to).

“..the War On Terror which smells too much like 1984”.
I can’t talk about that. I wouldn’t know where to start or how to for that matter. I can’t even look at it. I avoid this topic because it’s so loaded. We’re going to have to talk about this soon some time though, we really do, but it’s a landmine of epic proportions.

I’m loving this, not because I get attention on my blog but because we’re talking about really important stuff here.

I’m just saying.

P.S. I need the t-shirt. I really need the t-shirt.

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who lives in Oakland, about half a mile from where all the kerfuffle is, and she is completely out of patience. I think in large part she's fed up with all the media -- there are helicopters flying low over her home several times a day -- but also it's the tendency to violence.
    Why can't they occupy banks instead of neighborhoods?
    I wish there were more direction about the protests. Or maybe just more focused communicating. Someone here told me of a movement for everyone who can to move their bank accounts from large banks to a local credit union. They want everyone to do this on Nov. 5 so it will make the banks sit up and take notice. That I think is an awesome idea. Haven't heard diddly about it on the news though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about it - very briefly - on the news and it's an awesome idea. People need to protest with "buying power".

    I wish there was more direction too but I right now I hope this is just the beginning. More and more people are talking about it and that's a really good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lord, do I know have to worry about 'credit union trojans'? seriously, I spend a lot of time and energy helping the banks to keep their client's money safe and secure and then they go and gamble it away. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. once you start looking for these things, it seems there are people of like minds all around. and some of them writing in a very amusing way: http://www.realjohnson.com/2011/11/poutine-philosophy-and-parallel-polity.html

    and the guardian had a piece on women in finance that i think you'd find interesting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/03/voices-of-finance-women?CMP=NECNETTXT766

    as for t-shirts, i once had one with marilyn monroe on it, i wonder what that means...

    ReplyDelete

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

It's Day Something of my Radical Something-Something Project

You can't trust me. I set out on a new and shiny path and I don't follow through. I feel a little like that about my whole life a...

Popular posts