1. This is it!
2. There are no hidden meanings.
3. We can't get there from here, and besides there's no place else to go.
4. We are all already dying, and we will be dead for a long time.
5. Nothing lasts.
6. There is no way of getting all you want.
7. You can't have anything unless you let go of it.
8. You only get to keep what you give away.
9. There is no particular reason you lost out on some things.
10. The world is not necessarily just. Being good often does not pay off and there is no compensation for
11. You have a responsibility to do your best nonetheless.
12. It is a random universe to which we bring meaning.
13. You don't really control anything.
14. You can't make anyone love you.
15. No one is stronger or weaker than anyone else.
16. Everyone is, in their own way, vulnerable.
17. There are no great men.
18. If you have a hero, look again: you have diminished yourself in some way.
19. Everyone lies, cheats, pretends (yes, you too, and most certainly myself).
20. All evil is potential vitality in need of transformation.
21. All of you is worth something, if you only will own it.
22. Progress is an illusion.
23. Evil can be displaced but never eradicated, as all solutions breed new problems.
24. Yes it is necessary to keep on struggling toward solution.
25. Childhood is a nightmare.
26. But it is so very hard to be an on-your-own, take-care-of-yourself-cause-there-is-no-one-else-to-do-
27. Each of us is ultimately alone.
28. The most important things, each of us most do for themselves.
29. Love is not enough, but it sure helps.
30. We have only ourselves, and one another. That may not be much, but there's all there is.
31. How strange, that so often, it all seems worth it.
32. We must live within the ambiguity of partial freedom, partial power, and partial knowledge.
33. All important decisions must be made on the basis of insufficient data.
34. Yet we are responsible for everything we do.
35. No excuses will be accepted.
36. You can run but you can't hide.
37. It is most important to run out of scapegoats.
38. We must learn the power of living with our helplessness.
39. The only victory lies in surrender to oneself.
40. All of the significant battles are waged within the self.
41. You are free to do whatever you like. you need only face the consequences.
42. What do you know...for sure...anyway?
43. Learn to forgive yourself, again and again and again and again...
If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him! by Sheldon Kopp
Edit 15th May 2012:
If I have stolen your father's wise words without giving him credit I humbly ask for your forgiveness. Truth is that I have actually found them extremely useful since my nervous breakdown.
My mother has Alzeheimer's. Over the course of six months I have watched from a distance how my mother seems to be disappearing bit...
How serious is this shit? May seem odd to you that I'm asking that but I'm serious about it. How serious is this shit? I bought a ...
When life’s kicked you in the head the first thing you need to do is resist the urge to hit back. Turn the other cheek. “Like fuck!” you say...
I post hopelessly infrequently here. I feel a little bad about it, I have to tell you, because when I check the stats, and I actually do t...