Saturday, September 17, 2011

More Lose Weight by Changing My Mind

Yesterday I talked about reprogramming my mind so I can lose weight. I know there are doubters out there and they’re going to tell me that it’s not going to work. We’ll see. This is an experiment OK? My theory is that if it worked for me when I quit smoking the odds are pretty good that it will work with weight loss.

I also talked about the chocolate bar and how I don’t particularly like anything that’s listed as being the ingredients of the bar on their own and so it stands to reason that I don’t like the bar. Right? That’s what I want my mind to believe anyway. I want to stop wanting to eat chocolate bars (or anything else that’s bad for me and makes me put on weight).

What happens when I eat a chocolate bar because I haven’t been able to convince my mind that I don’t like eating chocolate bars yet? We know I’m failing to stop eating crap because I’m still overweight. I ate the chocolate bar and since this is an experiment I decide not to embark on the usual guilt trip. I’ve eaten it. There’s not much I can do about unless I go and throw up and I don’t like doing that so the chocolate bar stays in my tummy. I have to do something else. I want to turn this into an opportunity.

How good was it to eat that chocolate bar? Did it make me happier? Did it actually make me feel better? Did it fill me up? Did it live up to all the expectations I had? Do I feel satisfied after eating it? How much did the chocolate bar improve my state of mind or my life? Is the feeling that eating the chocolate bar gave me better than how I would feel if I could go and buy those skinny jeans I really want to get into? If I was healthier because I weighed less would that make me feel better than eating the chocolate bar did? If I could have the chocolate bar feeling right now or the getting into the skinny jeans feeling right now which one would I choose?

I think you get the idea, right?

By asking yourself questions like the ones above you’re starting to give your mind alternatives to think about. When we have more alternatives to choose from we tend to be less happy with a choice we’ve just made. We begin to wonder if we made the right choice. If we know we didn’t make the right choice then we can begin to wonder if making another choice would have made us feel happier in the long run.

You know how when you go to a restaurant and order a meal and when you get it you wonder if you should have ordered something else because it may have been better? If you were served the same meal, and you were just as hungry, and there was less to choose from then you wouldn’t worry so much about it.

Our minds are funny in that multiple choices actually cause us unhappiness so asking yourself questions that paint a picture of there being alternatives to how you feel after eating that chocolate changes things. You can make your mind unhappy about the choosing to eat the chocolate bar. The next time you eat a chocolate bar you remember and then you can again reinforce the message by doing the same thing again by asking more questions. Eventually you will start to feel a little hesitant before you eat a chocolate bar. If you keep at it you will begin to identify the chocolate bar as an inferior choice. Eventually you stop craving chocolate bars because you now believe they’re not a good choice at all.

Now you may think to yourself that there are a lot of things that you need to reprogram here because you like a lot of different foods. True. It’s not going to happen in a day. Remember though that these are beliefs you’re programming that are going to last you a life time unless you go about changing them again because you want to. It’s going to be worth it. If you’re a afraid of brain washing even if it’s you doing it yourself then you should probably stop watching TV it happens every time you turn the damned thing on and there you’re not the one deciding on what’s getting programmed in your mind. Take control. Decide on your own programming and do it to help yourself.

I’m doing it. I’m going to keep you posted on how I’m going with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

When the New Age Movement Grows Up

I was in an interview yesterday afternoon for a part time copywriter job. After seven months of "couch surfing" (aka recovery or h...

Popular posts