Monday, August 29, 2011

A very good day is today

I'm a habitual creature so when Monday night comes along I like to have my dinner then wind down for the night. After all, I get up again at 4.15am to ride to work so I can miss the traffic and get home early in the afternoon. And with "ride" I mean on my bike and not on the dead horse because it's dead, remember?, and I'm no flogging it any more.


Today is an auspicious occasion for me but even more so for my daughter. My daughter, whom I call Bee here, has learning difficulties and who had a terrible time in primary school attends a public selective school (= bunch of very smart kids) in the support unit (= bunch of kids with various problems that mean they just don't make it in normal school).

If primary school was hell for Bee, high school has proven to be close to awesome. At a time when the hormones are kicking in and she sighs at basically everything her mother (me!) says because that's what you do when you're 13 years old, school is fun and she loves going there. She's catching up in reading and maths, which is unusual for support unit kids once they reach high school, and life is generally a lot better.

But tonight is even more special because tonight she's receiving an award for a piece of art that will hang in the newly created permanent art exhibition at the school. For Bee, who wants to be an artist, this is hopefully a small stepping stone even if she never turns out to be the next Picasso or Rembrandt.

So I will go without my early night tonight, and I will take photos and a friend will film, and we will cherish this most important day and burst with pride. It's a good day. It's a very good day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love artists! They are very special people. Well done to Bee and yes, it is a stepping stone indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm even wearing a dress for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

It's Day Something of my Radical Something-Something Project

You can't trust me. I set out on a new and shiny path and I don't follow through. I feel a little like that about my whole life a...

Popular posts