Sunday, May 1, 2011

TV

A few days ago I connected the TV. When I moved in August I left Foxtel and its many choices behind because for some reason it had lost its shine. Getting rid of it came with another bonus. It saved me a tonne of money. I figured I may connect to free to air some day. It offers five channels after all. Being connected again has nice little reminder as to why I wasn't in such a hurry to get all plugged in again.

We used have movie blockbuster night on Sundays here in Australia. Free to air channels would compete to put the best movie on. You looked forward to the event all week. It was such a nice way to end a weekend and to round it all off before you had to get back to grind on Monday morning.

Things have changed. I was watching some ads for upcoming programs the other day and there was a coast guard drama, a customs drama and a bloody police drama, all Australian (and I swear they've all got the same bloody actors in them too).

If you want to see something from overseas there's crime, gruesome crime and even more gruesome crime served up to you in the form of CSI everywhere, NCIS anywhere and Law and Order everywhere else. There are at least different actors in those. I think.

If you don't want crime there's a steady stream of reality TV. I found reality TV fascinating for a year or so back in the days when Survivor debut and Big Brother was just a baby. Now it makes me want to vomit.

Why, oh why, do they have to milk every bloody TV genre until it's about as full or juice and about as interesting as a kindergarten kid's first clay sculpture. There's not an original concept to be seen even if one were to use a telescope in the vain hope that it would help.

All of this crap is interrupted by incredibly boring and silly ads that make me want to boycott everything advertised. What happened to clever ads? We used to have them you know! Surprise or I won't buy your shit. OK?

Because I like sitting down on the couch and play potato I resort to getting my hands on really old TV shows, mostly courtesy of O, which means I'm watching Blakes 7. I'm also watching the Killing even if it's crime and it's raining all the time because it's set in Seattle. Oh, and I am holding out for the next series of True Blood (Alexander Skarsgard is hot and he gets to speak Swedish and then there's the werewolf dude who's super hot) but that's about.

I miss the good old days when you could rely on TV keeping you occupied and suitable sedated. It's no wonder I had a bloody breakdown. I don't drink anymore and TV sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say. Go on! You know you want to.

Featured Post

When the New Age Movement Grows Up

I was in an interview yesterday afternoon for a part time copywriter job. After seven months of "couch surfing" (aka recovery or h...

Popular posts